Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A time for shears



My shears get a lot of work in January. Not that there are no weeds but in the last three days I have used my shears and my rake more than any other tool. Shearing down ornamental grasses, Astilbe, Coreopsis, Fuchsia, Iris, ferns, Helleborus, Epimedium and many other perennial plants that I left to over winter for their form, structure, winter color, or wildlife benefits.

In the case of Fuchsia shearing is a little rough. For the larger woody varieties I will usually shear them down to 12-18 inches then cut out all of the canes that are smaller than a pencil with my hand clippers. I may take out the canes that are oldest as well and clean up any cuts that the shears mangled. If they are beginning to show new growth at the base you may usually get away with cutting them clean to the ground. Leaving the canes reminds you that they are there and insures that they have some established growth to help pull them through.

On the Iris, ferns, Epimedium and Helleborus they have been providing lovely intense greens in the beds for months now and will begin to shoot new growth in the center from their base. It is easiest to shear them now just before the new growth begins because if you wait too long you need to do it with your hand clippers which takes exponentially more time. You can wait longer however in these gardens (including my own) it's seize the moment! The Epimedium and Helleborus will be sending up their flowers next, before leaves, which look fabulous if the old foliage is cleaned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment