Friday, February 27, 2009

Things you don't question...

I enjoy my vegetable garden. Last year we had a very nice consistent crop of beans, peas, beets, chard, kale, lettuce, and some others. I still talk often about not knowing what I'm doing with vegetables however that is because I have known many organic farmers who still say they don't know what they're doing after twenty years or more. That said, my true love is in Ornamentals.

So I rearranged our vegetable garden this year. I terraced the slop and moved it back a bit so that I could plant ornamentals above the wall.

I realized that below the wall would be the perfect spot to plant tomatoes. They could pick up all the radiant heat from the stone. Before I thought of that I had been pretty excited about planting some Japanese Forest Grass at the base of the wall. So I kept an area clear for tomatoes and started to plant around it. When I was almost done I thought again about the tomatoes and realized they would be much happier above the wall where they would get a lot more late afternoon sun. The wall would actually shade them pretty earlier in the summertime afternoons. Obviously I found a couple choice plants for the spot, antique roses that I've been saving for something perfect. I planted the first one and dug the hole for the second. As I picked it up it told me that it didn't want to be down there, it wanted to be on top of the wall. Now this is a special little rose so it's deserves a say in things but I was saving the spots above the wall for tomatoes right? Apparently not.

The lesson is when a sweet little rose tells you what it wants you should listen. Souvenir de St. Anne will be absolutely charming up there backed by a Skyracer Moor Grass and a Mid-Winter Fire Dogwood. Plus you can sit on the wall and smell it!

No comments:

Post a Comment