Monday, February 14, 2011

Jazz gardener

As a designer I am constantly pulling comparisons from one subject and applying them to something totally different. I generally lose most people in my explanations, however I continue in the effort. This weekend provided two great opportunities for this metaphorical practice.

Over the weekend I was listening to some excellent jazz guitar picking. Following the rhythm and dance of the music I thought how cool it would be to be a jazz gardener. Working in the garden like jazz works in music. Structured yet playful, strict yet attempting to push as far as possible from the definitions that bind it.

My brother and I went for a beautiful morning walk in the botanic garden on Sunday. Amongst many other subjects was the current food movement. How it ties into so many aspects of our culture and life. I have always thought that cooking and gardening, closely tied together of course, are great interests because they tie so many other parts of our lives together. Pink and Purple have always interested me in the same way. They are both colors that in certain shades have the ability to be warm or cool colors. Acting as transitional elements in a garden design, they tie the two realms of color together.

I would like to be a jazz gardener.
Gardening is a pink activity.

1 comment:

  1. strict in adherence to natural law, loose in finding space within it for innovation...

    ReplyDelete